Welcome to our Knowledge Base
At SmartWork, as an employee, you are entitled to certain statutory benefits, such as Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP).
Statutory Maternity Leave consists of 52 weeks, divided into Ordinary Maternity Leave (first 26 weeks) and Additional Maternity Leave (last 26 weeks). While you don’t have to take the full 52 weeks, you must take at least two weeks leave after your baby is born.
Typically, you can start your leave as early as 11 weeks before the expected week of childbirth. If you qualify, your Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) will begin when you commence your maternity leave.
SMP is paid for a maximum of 39 weeks. If you meet the criteria, you will receive 90% of your average weekly taxable earnings for the first 6 weeks and either £172.48 or 90% of your average weekly taxable earnings (whichever is lower) for the following 33 weeks.
To be eligible for SMP, you must meet the following requirements:
1. You are classified as an employee.
2. You have provided your employer (SmartWork) and your end client/agency with the appropriate notice for leave (at least 15 weeks before your due date).
3. You have given your employer (SmartWork) the necessary notice for pay (28 days before the date you will stop working and start receiving SMP).
4. You have provided your employer (SmartWork) with proof of your pregnancy (please refer to the requirements below).
5. You earn an average of at least £123 per week.
6. You have worked continuously for SmartWork for a minimum of 26 weeks leading up to the ‘qualifying week’ (the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth).
For more information on the eligibility criteria, please visit this link: https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/how-to-claim
To assess your eligibility and process SMP, we require a copy of your MATB1 certificate. Your doctor or midwife will provide this to you no later than 20 weeks before your due date. Please email a copy to contractorcare@SmartWork.com at least 21 days before your SMP is scheduled to begin.
How to claim
Kindly inform us of the date you intend to commence your Maternity leave so that we can accurately calculate your eligibility and payment schedule. If you meet the requirements to receive Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) through SmartWork, we will provide you with a detailed payment schedule.
In the event that you are not eligible for SMP, we will furnish you with a completed SMP1 form, which will explain the reasons why. Additionally, this form will enable you to apply for Maternity Allowance directly through your local Jobcentre Plus. For more information regarding Maternity Leave and SMP, please visit the HMRC website at https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/overview.