Welcome to our Knowledge Base
As an employee of SmartWork, you are entitled to certain statutory benefits, such as Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
If you are off work for four or more consecutive days, you can claim SSP. The current rate for SSP is £109.40 per week (2023-24), and it can be paid for up to 28 weeks if you meet the following criteria:
1. You are classified as an employee and have received at least one payment through SmartWork.
2. You have worked continuously for at least eight weeks.
3. You have been ill for at least four consecutive days (the first three days do not qualify).
4. You have informed SmartWork of your sickness within seven days of your first day of sickness.
5. Your average earnings (taxable income) are at least £123 per week.
If you are unable to visit your GP, you can self-certify for up to 7 days. In such cases, please complete the Employee’s Statement of Sickness form on the HMRC website (www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-sick-pay-employees-statement-of-sickness-sc2). Save the completed form as a .pdf file and email it to email@example.com
In addition to the self-certification form, we kindly request that you provide an email from your agency/line manager confirming the days you were scheduled to work but had to take off due to sickness.
If your sickness period exceeds seven days, we will need a copy of the Fit Note provided by your GP to process further payments.
If you meet the requirements to receive SSP through SmartWork, we will pay it to you on your regular payment day.
If we cannot pay SSP to you, we will provide a completed SSP1 form, enabling you to make a claim for income support directly from your local Jobcentre Plus.
For more information on SSP, please visit the HMRC website at www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview.