Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

27 May 2020

What is Self-Assessment?

Self-Assessment is a system HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) uses to collect Income Tax.  Tax is usually deducted automatically from wages and pensions via the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) method. People and businesses with other income must report it in a tax return.

Those using Self Assessment file an annual tax return to report their income.  The tax return covers the period 6th April to 5th April, with the tax return and any subsequent tax due by the following 31st January.  HMRC then calculate what you owe to factor in all of your income, as what you earn from one source may affect what tax you owe on another source due to the way our tax bandings work.

Using an umbrella company does not mean you need to file a tax return; however, if you do meet any of the following criteria, you may need to file.  These include if you:

  • are a company director and have income that is not taxed under PAYE.
  • are a sole-trader (self-employed).
  • have untaxed income. This could be, for example, interest or rental income that is not taxed before it is paid to you.
  • receive regular annual income from a trust or settlement, or you receive income from the estate of a deceased person, and further tax is due.
  • have taxable foreign income whether or not you are resident in the UK. This includes non-UK resident landlords.
  • have income from savings and investments of £10,000 or more before tax.
  • have an annual income of £100,000 or more before tax.
  • or your partner receives child benefit, and your income is over £50,000 (high-income child benefit charge).
  • have tax due at the end of the year that cannot be collected via your PAYE coding notice in a later year.
  • receive untaxed income of £2,500 or more.
  • claim for expenses is £2,500 or more.
  • have capital gains where you:
    • have given away or sold assets worth £48,000 or more for 2019/20; or
    • have a capital loss, but your gains net of any losses are more than the annual exemption for 2019/20 of £12,000; or
    • have no losses to claim, but your gains are more than the annual exemption for 2019/20 of £12,000; or
    • need to make any other capital gains tax claim or election for the year.

What can I do if I need to file a tax return?

Don’t worry, we, or should I say our sister company, MyAccountant, can help!  Our personal tax team make this process as simple as possible.

  1. We will send you our tax questionnaire to gather your data and establish the pertinent facts to prepare your tax return
  2. If you have not filed a tax return in the past, we will register you with HMRC and obtain your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
  3. We will prepare your tax return and provide you with the SA100 form itself and a detailed tax computation
  4. Once approved, we will electronically submit your return to HMRC and provide an emailed receipt as proof for your records
  5. And that’s it!

We hope you find this guide helpful in answering some of your questions around self-assessment. If you require assistance and are already with SmartWork, all you have to do is contact your business manager. Otherwise, feel free to call 0800 434 6446 or e-mail us at info@smartwork.com.

For more relevant content aimed at freelancers and contractors, please visit the guidance section of our website and follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook so you can see when we post a new article.

Latest Posts

For newcomers to contracting, the umbrella option offers great flexibility and simplicity.  It can be a great stepping stone to…

Read Full Article


Want to know what everything is on your SmartWork payslip? Have a look at our downloadable guide (including FAQs) h… https://t.co/9eAOyhzdU7

Jun 24

BBC News - 'Unscrupulous' firms are targeting key workers https://t.co/IGXCXQA5BF Be careful not to fall victim to… https://t.co/BklfAjrR3B

Jun 11

Big thank you to one of our business managers Ian Marshall for making us look good! Speak to Ian by calling 0800 43… https://t.co/FW1Gp1RBHe

May 15

The latest of our guide series is out on our blog page. Worth visiting for an ever-growing selection of guides and… https://t.co/b3O5dP1c8D

May 12

Everything you need to know about the Key Information Document introduced from the 6th of April. Recruitment agenci… https://t.co/gtP9OyuY7p

Apr 28

Speak to our team on
0800 434 6446

Or Click here to contact us

Join Smartwork Today

Fill out our registration form