We have been operating our core Umbrella service since 2002 so we know our stuff! Prior to their rise in the early 2000s, most freelancers and contractors either worked through their own limited company or as a PAYE employee of a recruitment agency or the end client.
A shift to composite companies (a hybrid of umbrella/limited) was then curtailed by the Managed Service Company (MSC) in 2007 to leave us with the umbrella vehicle we have today.
At SmartWork we pride ourselves on having evolved through these changes, all the whilst ensuring we offer a premium service to our contractors and keeping ahead of legislation or any other changes that may affect you.
How does it work?
- SmartWork will hold an agreement with your recruitment agency or end client
- By following our simple sign up process, you will then receive a Flexible Employee Contract with Smartwork
- As an employee of SmartWork you will be entitled to the same benefits and employment rights as any other worker
- You will submit your timesheets and expenses through the SmartPortal or via email
- SmartWork will invoice your agency or end client for the work you have undertaken
- SmartWork receive the funds from your agency
- And finally the most important part – you get paid! We deduct any taxes, National Insurance and our margin and provide you with a detailed breakdown via you payslip
And that’s it! It’s incredibly simple! For newcomers to contracting, the umbrella option offers great flexibility and simplicity. It can be a great stepping stone to a limited company look to build on your contracts and earn more.