Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to any questions you may have about umbrella employment, limited companies, or contracting in general.
Would you recommend having a Preferred Supplier List?
We highly recommend you do so; it is a much safer way to operate as you ultimately have control over which supplier your contractors work through. An ideal solution is to have a Preferred Supplier List (PSL) in place of compliant FCSA providers for both umbrella companies. FCSA Full Members represent a ready-made PSL and the industry’s highest stamp of endorsement for parties looking to appoint fully compliant firms to support them.
Do you offer an advance payment service?
SmartWork can offer an advance payment service to your contractors at a small margin, should they require this.
Do you provide dedicated support?
Yes, we provide a single point of contact for both contractors and agencies. They will assist with questions as well as providing ongoing support.
How quickly do you get my worker paid?
We offer same-day payment terms as standard, so contractors get their payments the same day we receive funds from you.
How do we know you are compliant?
SmartWork is an FCSA Umbrella member and APSCo Trusted Partner, which give added reassurance that we operate to the highest standard of compliance in the professional employment services sector. FCSA Umbrella Member status is the only accreditation recognised by all of the UK’s leading industry bodies, including REC, APSCo, and TEAM.
How do I refer a worker to SmartWork?
You can send us a quick email including the contractor’s name, job title, contact number and pay rate to email@example.com. We will call them within the hour and keep you updated on the progress.
Why should they use SmartWork?
- We provide a simple, flexible and hassle-free service.
- We are the only umbrella company in the market that offers our employees a helpline open from 8 am-8 pm, seven days a week.
- We provide each contractor with their own dedicated Business Manager.
- Daily invoicing and free same-day CHAPS payments.
- Low weekly or monthly margins.
- Advance payment service available.
- Our contractors enjoy a full overarching contract of employment with the associated benefits that this brings.
- Set up within 24 hours with no start-up or leavers fees.
What sectors do you work with?
Our expertise covers a vast array of sectors including IT, engineering, telecoms, health care, teaching, banking and finance, drivers and locums.
What services do you offer?
We offer an FCSA-accredited and fully compliant umbrella solution.
What can our clients expect from SmartWork?
- An initial telephone call is carried out by one of our business managers, who will explain the benefit of partnering with SmartWork.
- We provide each employee with a full pay illustration so they can see exactly what their net take-home pay will be.
- We will liaise with you and the agency to get the contracts in place as quickly as possible.
- We set up a secure portal to allow our employees to submit timesheets and expenses. This is followed by a customer service call to make sure they fully understand everything.
- Customer services calls are carried out on a regular basis just to make sure things are running smoothly.